Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Day Finally Arrives!

As any prospective Brompton buyer can tell you, well, make that any recent prospective Brompton buyer, the wait time from order to arrival is interminable. This is partly because it takes a long time and also because, recently, it has taken substantially more time then the LBS claims. And, to be fair, it's not the LBS' fault. Over the course of this year BBL has increased the wait time for delivery from 12 weeks to ... sometime next year. Thankfully, I was somewhere in the middle.

I ordered my Brompton on May 31, as was told that it would be built in 11 weeks, shipped to the US, and ready for pick up in 12 weeks. I spent the next 12 weeks looking for photos on the web of a Brompton configured like mine, reconsidering the gearing, wondering about modifications, and reading forums and blogs about Bromptons. The week before the 12th week, I emailed my LBS and asked how things looked. They were very sorry, but it would be at least 16 weeks before the bicycle was done. Sigh... 

I waited 4 more weeks. I emailed again and was politely told it would be a little longer. Two weeks later I emailed again and was told that the bicycle was built but that BBL had lost the payment from LBS and would not ship until the payment was in hand. Fortunately my LBS expressed the payment, and we waited a little longer. Last week I got the email. And 20 weeks after order, I went in to pick up my M6R, racing green with black bits, Brooks saddle, luggage block, T-bag, and cover bag. I was so happy to return to my LBS!


I happily paid what remained after my deposit and brought the beauty to my car.


Of course I had come prepared for a ride and took a spin in the local park before folding her up into the trunk of my car. We took a quick trip to Saratoga Springs to meet some friends (one of whom thinks I am a little crazy for buying a bicycle that I carry. Shouldn't that bicycle carry you?) 

Saratoga is a wonderful little town in Upstate New York that hosts a very significate horse racing season for a month once a year. It boasts a number of conference centers and many excellent restaurants and pubs. I hadn't visited for  number of years, so I took the opportunity to take a quick ride through downtown to see how things had changed. The downtown is bicycle friendly with racks located in front of many buildings on Broadway, the main street. There is a lovely park in downtown, Congress Park. I found a brewpub that was new since I had visited last, Druthers. "If I had my Druthers, I'd like to have a beer."

I was surprised to find the bell integrated into the derailleur shifter mechanism. And I was impressed with the range and suitability of the BWR gearing. I had had my doubts, since I had not ridden a 6 speed before buying. I was convinced, but was concerned that I would spend most of my time in 3 and 4 and rarely use 5 and 6. 

While at the LBS, the sales person suggested that I might like a ride at a national park near Saratoga Springs, the Saratoga National Battlefield. I thought I might take a look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment