Monday, October 8, 2012

The Westcott Nation

October 3, 2012

In Syracuse there is a section of town that goes by the name "The Westcott Nation." There is a street that runs alongside the Syracuse University area named Westcott Street. Because it is an university area, the stores, people, culture, and restaurants all tend to be edgier and more interesting than some other parts of the city.

There also happens to be a bike shop there that I had not ever visited. The bike gloves I have been using for many years have finally ripped, so I thought I would ride over there to Mello Velo and see what they had.

Riding across the downtown was  a little bit of an adventure. I have had no trouble at all shifting between the BWR hub and the derailleur to find the right gear. In fact, I have been very pleased with both the distribution of the gears and the ease with which the system works. Then I rode in some serious traffic. And got a little confused, because I was trying to pay attention to too many things at once. This is an issue for practice!

I rode around for about 10 minutes looking for Mello Velo. Finally, after passing it twice and checking on line on the iphone, I found a small sign out by the street. Mello Velo is a second floor bike shop, with a ramp on the side of the stairs for wheeling your bike up. They were very friendly and helpful, so I was sorry to not find gloves that fit. I will certainly go back.

One of my favorite places to visit in the "nation," is Alto Cinqo, a mexican restaurant, that also happens to have a nice selection of beers on tap. Fortunately, the brompton fit nicely next to my bar stool.


Life is good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment