Wednesday, May 8, 2013

50 Mile (80 km) Ride!

May 3, 2013

I have been working to increase both my biking speed and distance. Today I planned out the longest ride I have ever done. The route follows an oval route  west to Warners, north to Baldwinsville, east to Clay and then Bridgeport, south to Syracuse then home.

I packed about 1.5 L of water, and it wasn't really enough. Warm, sunny and dry weather sucked the moisture out of me. I need to bring another 1L of water and still stop to fill up on these kinds of days. I also only had some fruit and nuts along the way. When I looked at the stats and realized I burned almost 4000 calories, I learned that  I need to be fueling along the way. I'm sure I would have felt stronger.


I severely regretted not stopping at this ice cream stand about half way through.


But I'm riding a really pretty bike!

When I turned east I hit a headwind that kept me at about 10 to 12 miles an hour. Turning south again, out of the wind, boosted my speed up to around 14-16.


The Etrex Venture HC did a great job. I, on the other hand, took a nap when I got home.


Ride Data

50.2mi Distance
3:55 Duration 
12.8mi/h Avg Speed
3849 kCal

climbed 823 feet

Oh, and I hit over 31 mph on a downhill!

No comments:

Post a Comment