Sunday, May 5, 2013

Gear Review: Garmin Etrex Venture HC

I know, the Etrex Venture HC is certainly not the newest and sexiest GPS tracker. And I have been thinking for the last few months that I wanted to get a cycling computer. Well, the prices of the wireless ones put me off. I didn't want a wired one because of the fold. The prices of the new GPS bicycle computers totally put me off. I like the new Garmins and love all the features, but just can't swing the price. I have a daughter in college! I'm like a mobil ATM.

The other day I was rummaging through a drawer in my bedroom looking for a cable for the kindle. I found the GPS I had bought over a year ago to use for geocashing. I had used it a few times, thinking I would be able to do more searching without burning down the battery on my iPhone. I found it clumsy and hard to use for geocashing, and it ended up in the drawer.

When I found it, I powered it up and looked at the trip computer page. That page showed nearly everything I wanted for a bicycle computer, and I knew I could modify the page with a couple of dozen choices. All I really needed was a mount for the handlebars.

Found one on Ebay for $15. It arrived in two days.


I had added the cross bar a few months ago to mount my CREE XML head light. I also like it to use to pull the bicycle when in folded position. With some old tube as a spacer, it mounted well, a positive and solid mount.


It's a little bigger than the sexy new ones from Garmin. But mine was free. :)


I have the screen set up to show compass heading, time of day, total moving time, moving average, elevation, odometer, current speed and current milage.

There is a feature to shift to large numbers which shows only the moving time, speed, and odometer. It sits far enough away from me that, with my failing reading vision, I can still read the small numbers easily. I've only had it out a few times to test it, and I'm pleased so far.

I will have to look into seeing if I can download saved tracks that I have ridden to the Garmin website.

This screen shows me half way through a 50 mile ride. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment