Sunday, May 5, 2013

Boston Strong: A Brompton in Boston

I had reason to be at Harvard University last week, and I took advantage of being in a very bikey, very beautiful metropolitan area by packing the Brompton and riding around the area nearly every opportunity I could find.

Cambridge and Boston roads frequently have bike lanes and sharrows, a very pleasant change from Syracuse, New York. The density of cyclists is high enough that cars are calmer and more careful around cyclists.

And the area is beautiful in the spring!


A view across the Charles River toward Cambridge. Look at the beautiful trees in bloom!


The path along the Charles River on the Boston side is wide and busy with cyclists, walkers and runners nearly all day long. It gets more busy during rush hour with the commuters.


I burned with jealousy riding along these beautiful paths.


And along the bike lanes in the South End.


And there was a great cup of coffee and a croissant at Render Coffee in the South End. I felt a little hipster here...

I finally saw my first other Bromptons on the roads around Boston. An Aussie gentleman was walking his black M6L. A woman in Watertown road a lovely M3L in raw laquer. While driving out of the city I saw the third in sand and teal. I know that for those of you who live where Bromptons are more popular, this is not a very big deal. I have owned mine for eight months and these are the first other Bromptons I have seen.

Boston Strong: that phrase flys proudly all around the city. Yes, the city took a serious hit on April 15 when the bombs went off at the Boston Marathon, and Boston is a city that comes back fighting. And those killed and injured had not been forgotten.


This memorial was set up in Copley Square. One cross set up for each for the three bombing victims: Krystle Campbell, Lu Lingzi, and Martin Richard. Just before I took this photo, a woman had lay flowers on each memorial. While I watched, people walked by, stopped, prayed, and wept.


For some reason, this collection of ball caps, some new and others obviously well loved and well worn, left along the edge of the square took my breath away.

Life continued as usual in the city for most. I rode from Copley Square to the public garden to find the Make Way for Ducklings statues.


The joy of children always raises one's spirits. These children called off the duckling's names as they walked down the row.


Here I found the statue to Paul Revere and the Old North Church in the North End. Boston Strong!


And this is the craziest little Italian street food place I have ever found. The Galleria Umberto serves only lunch starting at 11:00 until they get tired or run out. Then they close the doors. And the food is wonderful!




Pizza, rice ball with meatball and peas inside, and a potato croquette. $7.50. $8.50 with a bottle of water. Wow!


Oh yeah, the panzarotti had mozzarella inside. Too much!

I rode through the West End and over the bridge to the MIT campus. While there had been a very strong police presence all day in the city, after I crossed the bridge, a number of police cars came flying by and a team of law enforcement closed down the road. I was waved through after a few moments and found the road along the Charles completely closed down. Speaking to a police officer, I found out that they closed the road for the memorial procession of Sean Collier, the MIT police officer killed by the bombers. All the respect paid him was due and appropriate and pleased me to see. We all must honor those who choose to take up a weapon in protection of their community or country, especially when they pay the ultimate sacrifice.

The sorrow, pointlessness, and courage showed all around still makes me tear up.

This dimmed the sunshine for me a little. I found the Cambridge Brewing Company for a glass of water and to check out their menu. It just occurs to me that I never really stepped foot in the place. I sat in the sun in the courtyard outdoor seating and spoke to a very friendly and nice waitress.


Hops growing in containers. Truly a lovely sight. :)


Here's a great bicycle that made a great couple of days possible. Cambridge Commons is a sweet little park.

I want to go back. Nearly perfect weather, the easy biking, great food, a plethora of bike shops (including one that sells Bromptons!), and the presence of a strong bikey culture makes Boston a great place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment