Sunday, April 21, 2013

Access to NYS Bicycle Route 5

April 8, 2013

An aim of mine for late spring and summer is to tour on my Brompton. While New York does not have the network of dedicated cycle trails other states do, it does have clearly marked State bicycle routes. One of them, Route 5, runs north of Syracuse and is the major bicycle route between Albany and Buffalo. Today I thought I would see how hard it would be to access that route from my house, with an eye toward doing the ride fully loaded. 

Once I left the city behind, I found a relatively flat ride where most of the roads had a nice, clean wide shoulder. 





Traffic was light, and moved at about 40 mph.

There is also the Old Erie Canal mixed use trail that connects Albany and Buffalo, but much of that route is crushed stone. Right now, that surface is still too damp to ride dependably.

I rode about 14 miles to find the route going east. Access to the western side is a little closer.

Ride Stats from Map My Ride


28.73mi
Distance
1:44:33
Duration
16.5mi/h
Avg Speed
2450
kCal

No comments:

Post a Comment