Sunday, April 14, 2013

First Ride with the OCC

April 6, 2013

Saturday morning turned out to be a lovely morning filled with sunshine. And a temperature hovering right around 32 F - 0 C. I perseverated over how to dress. I have cool weather cycling gear, but it's more like I'm-off-for-a-cold-ride-to-the-pub clothing, not riding-with-the-club clothing. Finally I dressed more like I was going for a run; I just don't have the lycra tights and multiple jerseys of the club. And I don't really want to spend my money on that gear, since that's not really how I ride.

I drove over to the meeting place. I could have ridden, and it would have added about 7 miles to my ride, well, 14 there and back. I didn't because I wasn't sure what the morning would hold. Next time the club rides from that spot, I'll think about riding over.

When I got there, only a few members had arrived. I met the ride leader, who was very friendly and nice. While unfolding my bicycle, a gentleman with a lovely new Trek carbon fiber road bike spoke with me. He was understandably proud of his new ride. This would be a first ride for him. As the other members showed up I saw about 15 road bikes, 1 'bent, 1 triathlon bike, and guy on a carbon fiber fixie. I was both the only one on small wheels and the only one not in lycra.

I chose to do a 25 mile loop. The rest went off on a 33 mile loop. I knew that I would neither be able to keep up and I didn't want to be the last one back, making the ride leader wait for me or start looking for me.



At about the start of the third mile, the club went away. I tooled along enjoying the sunshine and a route that followed the river. At about 4 miles the ride leader caught up with me. At 62 and with a knee injury that meant he shouldn't really have been riding, we were more closely matched in pace. 

He kept a very friendly chatter up while we road, and he shared the task of cutting the headwind. I ride alone nearly all the time, so I didn't realize how much a difference that makes!

The ride leader turned back to only do a 17 mile loop. He could feel his knee acting up. I continued to follow the river, went over the bridge to loop back, enjoying the tailwind all the way to the start. 

Some of the faster riders were there when I got back. Others trickled in after me. Friends stood around and talked after signing back in. 



You can see the ride leader to the far left talking to the florescent green jacket. 

I'll do another ride. There were only a few good natured comments about my small wheels. Most were about how I would have to work harder. I mentioned that it's my weight and fitness that makes me so slow, not really the small wheels. 

Riding with the club is a good challenge for me. And I am jealous of those around the world who can ride regularly with other Brompton or foldie riders. 

I used the Map My Ride app on my Iphone to track the ride. 

Ride Statistics

25.58mi Distance
1:36:21 Duration
15.9mi/h Avg Speed
2142 calories

1 comment:

  1. That's a very good average speed and your suspicions were right about fixies and lycra but good to hear you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete