Sunday, April 21, 2013

Brompton Helicopter Tape

Much has been said about the use of "helicopter tape" on the places on the Brompton where it is likely that the paint will be rubbed by the cables or scratched. When I got my Brompton, well, actually, even before I got it, I had bought some protective tape to apply. I used a product called Bonk! which one applies in the same way as a screen protective sheet. Clean with alcohol, spray a wetting solution, apply the sticky film, squeegee and allow to dry.

 Here's most of the places I put the tape.


Downtube behind the crank.


Chain stay where the hook rests. This I have had to replace already.


Left fork where brake cable rubs.


Left side of A frame. Mine seems to get scratched easily?


Fore and aft of the main hinge where the cables rub while unfolded.


And here where the hub cable ferrule rubs.

I've also covered the left side of the stem where the cables rub.

No comments:

Post a Comment