Sunday, April 21, 2013

Access to Western NYS Bicycle Route 5

April 14, 2013

Today I took a ride to see a way to access the other side of NYS Bicycle Route 5. Because I'm located on the west side of Syracuse, once I left my neighborhood, this nearly immediately took me through a more rural area.


And I saw a Bluebird! The Eastern Bluebird is the state bird of New York, and I have only ever seen one other. They are pretty timid birds. When riding past this one, he flew up to the wire and I could see the bright blue of his wings and back.


Most of the ride was on these nice single lane roads with the wide shoulders.


Spring seems like it has arrived late, so these daffodils are a welcome sight.


Pretty barn :)

I found Route 31, State Bicycle Route 5, easily. It's wide and two lane with good shoulders. The return trip to home was more difficult, as it included a short but steep hill. I made this ride more difficult than it needed to be due to my laziness. I'd taken a ride to the pub two days earlier and it had rained on the way home. The water and splashing dirt had made a mess of my chain. I have kept things pretty clean before, and found that the sloppy chain interfered with shifting and just made things more difficult. A thorough cleaning is needed!

Ride Stats from Map My Ride


27.13mi
Distance
2:04:12
Duration
13.1mi/h
Avg Speed
2107
kCal

No comments:

Post a Comment