Thursday, March 21, 2013

Planet Bike Blinky Superflash and CREE XML Headlight

When I bought my Brompton, I purchased the battery light set. There was no way I could have afforded the dynamo lights at that time. And I have found the basic light kit... basic. The rear light that fits under the rack has a great look and has been solid for me to this point. But it is mounted low and only has a steady light.

So I bought a Planet Bike Blinky Superflash.


The light has three ways to attach. The bracket can be attached to the seat post, to a stay on the rear triangle or clipped to a bag or jacket. I attached under the seat in the space between my extension seat post raised to my proper seat hight when the lower section is all the way extended. This mounts it high and makes it easy to see from the rear.

The light has two settings: blinking where the larger LED blinks alternating with the two smaller LEDs below and steady on. I use it as a blinking light.

The front Brompton light does not have enough brightness to be used as a light to see by. As a blinking front light, it shows up enough for oncoming traffic to see and that's really all, so I bought a 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED through Amazon.

The light attaches to a lithium ion battery pack that recharges off the mains. Seating the light at the bottom of the U of my handlebars didn't really work because of interference with the cables. I have ended up installing a crossbar and installing it there when I need it. This light is BRIGHT. The downside is the weight of the battery.


The light has four settings: 3 brightness settings and a flashing setting. This photo shows the bright setting. See the snow? :) The signs that are lit up are over 100 meters away.

This system works for me. I don't ride very often after dark. Sometimes I get caught when I stop at the pub... so this really lights up the path!

No comments:

Post a Comment