Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Scouting out an S24O

March 36, 2013

Like Fernando from The Dirty Brompton, I'm starting to get the gear together for bicycle touring. I have been an avid reader of Russ and Laura's blog about extended bicycle touring because it combines two loves for me: bicycling and camping.

Today I took a ride to a state park on the other side of the city to get a measure of what it would mean to ride across the city. This morning was supposed to be a little cloudy and cool, 33F or 1C, but in the afternoon snow and rain were forecasted. I pushed off at around 8:45 a.m. and found that, yes it's cool, and no, it's not a little cloudy.


The sun tried to push through the clouds.


Then it started snowing more seriously. Seriously enough that I had to get out the waterproof kit. It rained and snowed on and off for most of the way to the park.

Most of the riding involved suburban and urban riding into then through then out of Downtown Syracuse. I have not riden from where I live on the west side of Syracuse to the east side in 6 months or so. There have been a few changes, positive changes! I'll show these in another blog post. I rode on roads the first 10 miles or so and traffic was not as busy as it could have been. Careful city riding makes it possible.

On the east edge of the city, the Old Erie Canal Trail picks back up. This trail runs along the Old Erie canal and right next to the entrance of the state park, about 6 miles farther on.


Again, I'm out riding a little too early in the season. The trail is crushed limestone and very wet and soft. I rode about a mile on the trail and got off, going back to the roads. Unfortunately, the roads are not as direct as the trail, so I had to ride farther.


The waling path around the lakes had been tended, removing the snow. I could see were people come to walk dogs and enjoy the scenery, but it's really too early at the park.

After a relatively easy ride to the park, given the weather, so I think an S24O to Green Lakes State park as  a first swing at bicycle touring is a great plan. Next, a 45 mile ride to Verona Beach State park, and then a ride around Lake Ontario. :)

Given the soft, wet Old Erie Canal Trail, I made a decision to ride a different way back. Turing right on 290 took me through Manlius Center and then along some nice wide but busy roads to East Syracuse and then back into the City in Eastwood. I only had one unpleasant interaction with traffic. I had taken the lane to make a left hand turn and signaled to the person in the van waiting at the stop sign. It was my right of way, and as I'm rolling into the turn, he pulled out right in front of me. Fast application of the  brakes! I really wanted my car horn... I shouted, and asked, "what are you doing!" He drove away, unconcerned.

As I arrived back home, the sun came out. Turned out to be a lovely afternoon, cloudless blue sky. Syracuse weather is crazy.


1 comment: