Friday, March 22, 2013

St. Patrick's Parade

March 9, 2013

I know, March 9th is not St. Patrick's day. Except in Syracuse, New York!

I only have a couple of quick shots for the parade. Really, I had forgotten the parade was taking place. I  got a text from my son telling me that he was downtown with his lady friend. The weather was actually pretty nice, so I took the Brompton for a spin that did not include snow and slush for once.


I know; it's not a very interesting photograph. I'm not the artist that many others are and I'm just using my iPhone.


This young gentleman was kind enough to pause so I could get his photo in front of the Niagara Mohawk - National Grid building. Another time I'll have to get a good photo of the architecture of this building, very Art Deco.

My son was kind enough to have a pint of IPA waiting for me. We stood around and watched the parade and the people for about an hour, and he and the lady friend met some others. I road down to my favorite downtown pub to see the action.

And I am so lame for not getting a photo of the two block bar and pub area of Syracuse with the entire street and sidewalks mobbed with St. Patrick's day celebrators.

One story: While I was unfolding on the street to meet my daughter (who needed some cash, can you believe it?), a gentleman asked me about my Brompton. I briefly told him about some of the features, and then he asked if he could ride it. Well... firstly, the street was too full of people to ride anywhere and secondly, he was pretty deep in his cups. I gently declined his offer. He persisted and offered to show me his badge as an FBI officer to prove his trustworthiness. I gently declined again, pointing out that he was in his cups, and he asked again. I finished unfolding the bike and putting my helmet on, looked at him, and told him that he could ride my Brompton if I could spent the night with his partner. At this point he lost interest and went back to drinking.

Does everyone get asked to let strangers ride your Brompton? I do offer to let people ride it, but strangers? This bicycle is really just too precious!


No comments:

Post a Comment